Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A recent recipe that made the cut

I like to cook. And I like to cook new things especially. I very rarely make something more than once. When I cook for you, you will be a guinea pig, because I'll be trying something new on you. But the whole point (aside from just liking variation) is to collect recipes that I love. The recipes I aim for must taste great, but if they're fast, healthy, and/or inexpensive they get bonus points. And when I'm a grandmother with a family I'll have a list of the stuff I make and it will be awesome. Both my grandmothers are/were great cooks and when one of them died we missed her food, but there were not many recipes written down.

So as per my style, I am collecting and modifying recipes systematically. For each recipe that I keep and tweak I've probably made 10 others that didn't make the cut. And instead of an old school recipe box I use software of course. It's called YummySoup! and I love it. It's super easy to import recipes found online, really easy to modify, group, and organize them, and you can make an actual cookbook out of it really easily.

Anyway, I didn't have a whole lot to eat today, so when I got home from work at 6:30 I wasn't hungry so much as hangry from low blood sugar. I thought about picking something up on the way home but I didn't know what I was excited about so I just decided to make this new recipe really quickly immediately after getting home. So I flew through making this. It was a race between me and my impending super low blood sugar rage. And I won, in more than one way. This was a perfect quick weekday meal. And really yummy and satisfying. It also didn't hurt that I plan what I'm going to make on the weekend and do all the grocery shopping then, so all I have to do is get home, choose between a few meal choices, and cook it. Oh, and I also cooked the bacon this weekend and that saved some time.

So here you go. I'm sharing it. I'll be making this again for breakfast sometime soon.

Cheesy Bacon and Potato Frittata

No comments: